How To Find Quality Home Health Care In Los Angeles
When you or your loved one decide it’s time to bring in professional help for medical assistance inside your home, it’s important to make sure you find an agency that provides quality care. You don’t want your home health care provider selection process to be a long one, so to make it easier you should create a standard that needs to be met.
What is Home Health Care?
Home health care services usually include assisting you or a loved one if you are recovering, disabled, chronically or terminally ill and are in need of medical, nursing, social or therapeutic treatment and/or assistance with activities of daily living. It’s all about getting the support you need on a long-term or short-term basis.
Finding a quality home health care provider in Los Angeles will give you or your loved one humane and compassionate support, enabling the comfort, privacy, and convenience of your home. Home health care is typically a more cost-effective alternative to institutional care.
The most common reasons our clients seek out home health care services are:
- After being discharged from the hospital without a full recovery or due to a condition that needs monitoring like surgery, a heart attack, or stroke.
- There is a chronic condition that requires care until it has been stabilized like diabetes or heart disease.
- An accident victim suffers fractures and needs therapy.
- Someone diagnosed with a disease needs education about the illness and help to cope with it (e.g. high blood pressure).
- A family caring for an elderly, disabled, or sick family member and needs education or additional support.
- A person is being hospitalized repeatedly or is experiencing prolonged hospital stays.
- Someone is in the final stages of an incurable disease.
- After delivering a baby, a woman needs follow-up care/support at home.
- An infant born prematurely goes home but requires monitoring.
What does Quality Home Health Care look like?
Now that you have an understanding as to why people use home health care services, it’s time to discuss what quality home health care should look like.
According to Medicare.gov, there are ten questions you should be able to answer to help you identify if a home health agency provides quality care. Their questions touch on being treated with respect and compassion, but there are a few other things that are important to look out for.
In many ways, the process of selecting a home health care provider in Los Angeles is similar to selecting a home care provider. It’s important to do your homework outside of the agency to determine what their involvement is within the community. When checking references ask if they often refer people to the agency, if their patients are satisfied with the care (when talking to a doctor), and what some of the strengths and weaknesses of the care attendants are.
Additionally, you should look into the accreditations of the agency as a whole and what type of trainings and certifications their care attendants must receive in order to be employed. It is best to seek out providers that have a history in the industry and are a part of local and national associations as well.
How do I Rate a Home Health Care Agency in Los Angeles?
Aside from doing your own research and doing a side by side comparison on paper, there are tools available online that can assist with this process. Using medicare.gov’s home health agency tool allows you to view a website summary of each agency’s performance across quality measures like:
- Managing daily activities
- Managing pain and treating symptoms
- Treating wounds and preventing pressure sores
- Preventing harm
- Preventing unplanned hospital care
When selecting a home health care agency, the goal should be to find a care attendant you or your loved one trusts and feels comfortable with. If you take the time to do your research, speak to references, and use online tools to help you rate each agency, you will be ready to select the best quality care in Los Angeles.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you need more information about home health care.
Contact us for a free consultation 24 hours a day/7 days a week.